A root canal in Louisville might be the solution to your toothache problems. Root canals preserve the exterior of the tooth while removing infected pulp and nerve tissue. This makes them a better option for many people with an extraction, which leaves behind a gap in the smile and can lead to further tooth loss. Modern root canals are gentle, comfortable, and safe.
Why a Root Canal Is Nothing to Fear
Root canals have acquired a dark reputation over the years as being a painful, complex, and often unnecessary form of treatment. But are these stereotypes accurate? Let’s look at the facts:
- Modern dentists have access to a wider range of technology than ever before. This means that problems which occurred in the past, such as missing small amounts of tissue or nerves, are extremely rare in today’s world.
- The anesthetics and sedatives used by dentists have also advanced by leaps and bounds in recent years. Not only do they do a better job at blocking discomfort, they wear off faster, enabling the patient to go about his or her daily activities sooner.
- Dental tools are smaller, more precise, and quieter than those you may remember from the past. Not only are they better at doing their job, they also make the treatment experience easier on the patient.
Why Saving a Tooth Is Better Than Removing It
When you’re suffering from a nagging toothache, you want nothing more than to be free of the pain. At such a time, saying to the dentist “just pull the dang thing” might seem like the best move. In reality, doing so may only set you up for ongoing problems. Here’s why:
- An extracted tooth leaves behind a crater in the mouth. This area is dark, moist, and hard to clean; in other words, the perfect breeding ground for decay-causing bacteria.
- Your teeth are designed to work together. Even a single missing tooth can put unnatural strain on the remaining ones. Over time, this can cause them to come loose or even fall out.
- A missing tooth can ruin an otherwise beautiful smile. It’s hard to put your best foot forward when you’re self-conscious about your appearance. Not only can this cause loss of confidence, it can even impair social and professional situations.
Are we saying that extractions are never the right way to go? Not at all. Sometimes an extraction is the best approach, such as during emergency situations or when the prospects of saving the tooth are not very good. In most cases however, patients enjoy better results by following their dentist’s recommendations to get a root canal.
Worried about Cost? Help Is Available
In today’s world, no one should suffer needlessly from tooth pain. Yet costs are a concern whenever dental care comes into the picture. Here are some helpful options to consider:
- Private coverage: check online or with your insurance representative for the details. The premiums may be lower than you think.
- Private financing: many lenders offer financing programs for people who need dental treatment.
- Personal arrangements: ask the staff at your dentist’s office about pay-as-you-go terms or other ways to manage the fees. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Only your dentist in Louisville can tell you what type of treatment is best for your situation. Make an appointment to see him or her soon. You’ll soon be on your way to a pain-free future.
About the Author
Dr. Kenneth Remmers has been practicing dentistry for more than 50 years. A proud member of the American Dental Association, he has been treating patients here in the Fern Creek area since 1996. You can reach his office online or by calling (502) 499-0234.