If you’d like to feel better about your appearance in 2020, a new smile in the new year is a great place to start. In fact, there’s been quite a bit of research that shows just how much smiling impacts your mental and emotional health. The only catch is that you have to like the way your teeth look before you want to show them off! Fortunately, a cosmetic dentist in Louisville has multiple ways to improve your smile, oftentimes in just 1-2 visits. Want to learn more? Keep reading below!
How Smiling Increases Confidence and Happiness
Here’s what some of the research shows on how smiling can benefit you in the new year (and beyond):
- Smiling makes you feel happier – Even if it’s a forced smile, studies show that the simple act of smiling triggers chemicals in the brain that improve your mood. In fact, smiling has been shown to stimulate the same areas of your brain as when you eat chocolate. Simply put, smiling just makes you feel good.
- It also reduces stress – Research from the journal Psychological Science found that smiling can reduce the heart rate and other physiological responses to stress in difficult situations. And who doesn’t want less stress in their life as they head into 2020?
- A smile can change the way people see you – When you like the way your teeth look, it’s a lot easier to smile at other people. And the research has found that it makes others see you as more attractive, intelligent, and likable.
How Can a Cosmetic Dentist Help?
If you’d like a new smile in 2020, the first step is a consultation with a cosmetic dentist. After discussing your goals, they’ll look at your oral health, age, budget, and other factors before creating the best treatment plan for you. In some cases, they may recommend just one procedure such as whitening. In others, a combination of procedures may give you the best results. Here are some of the options available to you:
- Invisalign clear braces – The average treatment time for Invisalign is just 9-18 months.
- Dental bonding – This procedure can be done in just one visit.
- Ceramic dental crowns – Some dental offices offer strong, beautiful ceramic crowns that can be done in just one appointment with CEREC technology.
- Porcelain veneers – Porcelain veneers are typically completed in two visits.
- Botox – Some cosmetic dentists also offer Botox, which can be conveniently done in just minutes.
These simple cosmetic dental procedures can completely change the way you feel about yourself. And there’s no better time to improve your self-confidence than the new year!
About the Author
Dr. Stephen Remmers is a general and cosmetic dentist in Louisville and also a native of the area. With decades of experience, he’s helped hundreds of patients feel great about their appearance and offers a variety of cosmetic procedures to fit everyone’s needs. If you’re interested in a new smile in the new year or have any questions, he can be contacted via his website.